Summer Semester – Program Costs
The total cost of participation in the Intercultural Studies honors program depends on the study-abroad policy of a student’s home institution. It is our experience that most universities charge students the same tuition as if they studied at the home campus. Students from such institutions need to proceed according to instructions given to them by their Study-Abroad Office.
Some institutions, however, allow students to interrupt their studies at the home campus and to participate at their cost in a selected study-abroad program at its own rate.
The total cost of the summer semester Intercultural Studies program is US$ 3,704.
It covers tuition, fees, and accommodation.
Tuition: US$ 2,134
Fees: US$ 590
Accommodation: US$ 980
Fees: US$ 590
- transportation from the airport
- 3-day local transportation pass (to cover the period before students can buy discounted passes.)
- 5 trips in the Czech Republic – includes transportation, admissions, and accommodation during one overnight trip (for descriptions see Cultural Excursions)
- 3-day trip to Vienna (includes: 3 guided tours, admissions to Schoenbrunn Palace and Imperial Treasury, Vienna transportation pass, round-trip bus ticket. Students arrange their own accommodation to suit their individual needs and means.)
- access to discounted tickets to cultural events
Accommodation: US$ 980
- accommodation at the international Komenskeho dormitory, 24-hour receptionist, restricted entrance
- single room in a suite containing 2 single rooms, kitchenette, WC, and shower.
- small work-out room
- Ethernet connection in each room, one laser printer available to all program students free of charge
- use of equipment purchased to improve the quality of life at the dorm (microwave, electric kettle, table lamps, memory foam mattrasses, assorted cookware in each suite)
- 24-hour services of the “dorm mother”
Note: The Intercultural Studies Program reserves the right to change the housing fee before the application deadline if the exchange rate fluctuates by more than 10%.
Cancellation policy: no penalty if cancelled 40 days before the official arrival.
There are additional major expenses connected with students’ stay and travel to the Czech Republic. They amount to US$ 1,615 and include:
Meals allowance: US$ 675
Local Transportation Pass for the entire semester: US$ 40
Round trip Airfare: ca US$ 900
They do not include “pocket money” (for gifts, souvenirs, personal travel,, entertainment/recreation, incidentals, etc.) since it can vary significantly from person to person.
Meals Allowance: US$ 675
Board is not included in the price of accommodation. Students are responsible for their breakfasts, lunches and dinners. They have a variety of means to procure them. They can prepare them in their kitchenettes, eat at university mensas (student cafeterias) for discounted prices, or buy food in restaurants and take-out establishments. At the International Dormitory there is a possibility to buy breakfasts but the cost is exhorbitant in comparison with prices for breakfast items at grocery stores.
Semester local transportation pass: US$ 40
Program participants qualify for reduced-cost local transportation passes at a cost equivalent to that for Czech students.. As a result, they are entitled to a significant student discount on transportation valid for all means of transportation within the city of Prague.
Round-trip Air Ticket to Prague: ca. US$ 900
The actual price can vary, of course, depending on many factors. However, this is an average amount paid by students in the recent past.